Do you have a furry friend? You know how much they love a good dog treat! Dogs go crazy for snacks, and it’s always nice to be able to give them something special. But store-bought treats can be expensive, and sometimes they contain ingredients that aren’t good for dogs. So how do you give your pup something special that won’t damage their health? Why not try making them at home? This article will provide a list of delicious and healthy homemade dog treat recipes that your pup will love.
- 1 Harmful Ingredients In Store-Bought Dog Treats
- 2 The Benefits Of Homemade Dog Treats
- 3 Amazing Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
- 4 Peanut Butter & Banana Pupsicles
- 5 Sweet Potato & Cranberry Bites
- 6 Chicken & Pumpkin Biscuits
- 7 Turkey & Beet Root Chews
- 8 Frozen Pumpkin-Yogurt Drops
- 9 Apple & Carrot Bites
- 10 Try These Amazing Homemade Dog Treat Recipes!
Harmful Ingredients In Store-Bought Dog Treats
When you walk down the pet aisle at your local store, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer variety of dog treats. Unfortunately, while many of these treats may look harmless, they can contain many harmful ingredients. For instance, many commercial dog treats contain artificial preservatives, which can cause health problems over time.
In addition, some treats contain high levels of sugar or salt, which can be dangerous for dogs with certain medical conditions. Finally, many store-bought treats contain low-quality ingredients that provide little nutritional value. Therefore, when choosing treats for your dog, it’s important to read the label carefully and opt for brands that use natural, high-quality ingredients. Or better yet, try making your own!
The Benefits Of Homemade Dog Treats
Making your own dog treats at home allows you to have complete control over the ingredients that go into them. This means no more worrying about harmful preservatives or low-quality fillers – only natural, healthy ingredients. In addition, homemade treats are often cheaper than buying them at the store.
Not only are homemade treats healthier for your pup, but they can also be a fun activity to do with the whole family. Get creative and experiment with different flavors and ingredients that your dog will love. And who knows – you may even find a new favorite recipe to add to your repertoire.
Amazing Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
If you want to ditch the store-bought treats and try making your own, here are some delicious recipes to get you started:
Peanut Butter & Banana Pupsicles
These treats are the perfect summer snack for your furry friend. Not only are they tasty, but the frozen banana helps keep your pup cool on hot days.
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Optional: a few treats for topping (such as dog biscuits or blueberries)
1. Mash the banana in a bowl and mix in the peanut butter and yogurt until well combined.
2. Pour the mixture into an ice cube tray, and top with a few treats if desired.
3. Freeze for at least 4 hours, then serve your pup as a frozen treat on hot days.
Sweet Potato & Cranberry Bites
These bite-sized treats are nutritious thanks to the sweet potato and cranberry combo. And with only five ingredients, they are easy to whip up quickly.
- 2 cups of cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of whole cranberries
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix the sweet potatoes, cranberries, peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
3. Scoop the mixture into small bite-sized pieces and place them on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Chicken & Pumpkin Biscuits
These savory biscuits are a hit with dogs and have loads of protein from the chicken and fiber from the pumpkin.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cooked, shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the chicken and pumpkin until well combined. Slowly add in the water until dough forms.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out desired shapes and place them on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool before serving your pup.
Turkey & Beet Root Chews
These chewy treats are a unique and healthy option for your pup, thanks to the addition of beetroot. And since they are low-calorie, they are an excellent option for dogs watching their weight.
- 1 cup cooked, shredded cooked turkey
- 3/4 cup grated beetroot
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until well combined.
3. Roll the mixture into small balls and flatten onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until firm and slightly browned.
5. Allow cooling before serving your furry friend.
Frozen Pumpkin-Yogurt Drops
These frozen treats are the perfect cool snack for hot days. And the yogurt helps to keep your dog’s stomach happy.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- Optional: a few treats for topping (such as blueberries or sliced bananas)
1. Mix yogurt and pumpkin in a bowl.
2. Using a spoon or ice-cube tray, scoop the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Top with optional treats if desired.
4. Freeze for several hours until solidified.
5. Serve to your pup as a refreshing snack.
Apple & Carrot Bites
These bite-sized snacks are packed with fiber and beta-carotene thanks to the apple and carrot combination. And with only five ingredients, they are a breeze to whip up in no time.
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons all-natural peanut butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.
3. Using your hands or a cookie scoop, shape the mixture into small bite-sized balls and place them onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Let cool before serving your pup.
Try These Amazing Homemade Dog Treat Recipes!
Treats are a great way to show your furry friend some extra love, and these homemade options offer unique and healthy alternatives to store-bought treats. Your pup will be sure to thank you for the delicious snacks! The best part? You know exactly what goes into them, so you can feel confident in treating your dog. If you have picky eaters, experiment with different ingredients to find what they love most!