Skip to content

Plants That Are Poisonous To Dogs


Many common plants contain substances that can be harmful to dogs or even fatal. People who own dogs, or happen to be walking dogs, are always looking for new plants that aren’t toxic to our furry friends. Many people are unaware that many plants can be toxic to dogs and cause serious health problems. Not only can the plants cause visible symptoms by damaging the skin or by causing an allergic reaction, but many plants are also toxic to dogs internally. These plants include daffodils, dogwood, elder, foxglove, hyacinth, lilac, orchid, parsley, poison ivy, and walnut.

Autumn Crocus

The Autumn Crocus is a highly toxic plant that looks and smells like a colorful flower. It is related to the Jack O’Lantern plant, which is also harmful. Both plants contain a substance called methyl jasmonate, which can harm dogs when they eat the leaves of the plants.


One of the most common types of dog poison is azalea. The most important thing to remember about azaleas is that they only grow in the U.S., so if you have them in your yard, make sure to keep them away from your dog. The most obvious signs of poisoning in dogs are depression, vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle tremors.


Cyclamen are the “red” poinsettias for your Christmas table, but you may not realize that a few of these bulbs contain toxic alkaloids. These alkaloids and a few others are potent poisons that can cause poisoning in dogs and cats. Although cyclamen do not generally cause death or severe illness, they are toxic, with effects including vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and respiratory problems. The alkaloids can also affect the central nervous system, which can cause seizures, coma, and even death.


Also known as the “Hawaiian plant,” the kalanchoe is a poisonous plant known to be dangerous for dogs. Kalanchoe plant poisoning is the most common cause of emaciation in dogs. It is the most toxic plant globally, but few people realize that it is a common houseplant. It is extremely dangerous for your dog to eat the kalanchoe plant, especially if you have dogs that eat grass.


Lilies are beautiful flowers, but they can be poisonous to dogs. Lilies are toxic to dogs because of a substance called alkaloids. It contains a toxin called umbelliferone which can be fatal to dogs. A dog can also die from lily poisoning by swallowing the plant.


Oleander is a popular shrub that blooms in late spring and early summer, and the leaves and flowers are poisonous to dogs. Young dogs can be poisoned just by eating some leaves, while older dogs may be severely affected by eating just a tinyhazardous amount.


Dieffenbachia (Argyreia Nervosa) is a beautiful plant often used as a houseplant, but it can cause serious problems if ingested by your pet. Many symptoms are due to dieffenbachia poisoning, including vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, tremors, seizures, shock, and coma. 

Lily Of The Valley

Dogs can be poisoned by eating weeds that are not harmful to humans. It is especially true for dogs that eat the prickly plant “Lily of the Valley” or “Wild Celery.” While the plant’s leaves are edible to humans, the flower is highly poisonous to dogs and cats. It’s called “Lily of the Valley” because the flower has a strong odor like the lily.

Sago Palm

Sago palms are a genus of palm tree species native to tropical Asia and the South Pacific. The leaves are used for food and as a source of fiber. But in addition to these benefits, it can also cause serious health problems in dogs. 

Tulips And Hyacinths

Tulips and hyacinths are both beautiful flowers, but they are deadly to dogs. These flowers contain benzoxazinoids, which can cause seizures, anemia, and death in dogs. If you own a dog, stay away from these flowers.


Pets are a great addition to any family because they offer companionship and unconditional love. Make sure to keep the plants as mentioned above away from your home and furry friends. If your dog ingests one of these plants, call your veterinarian right away.