Cannabidiol, or CBD as it is popularly known, is a potent drug used since ancient times for various medicinal purposes. Belonging to the class of cannabinoids (i.e., chemicals found in the Cannabis plant), CBD boasts of some wondrous effect that has been popularised in recent years with the legalization of drug usage. Unlike other cannabinoids like THC, CBD is not psychoactive. That is, you won’t experience a sense of euphoria on administering the drug-like THC induces. But, at the same time, it gives relief from a lot of pain and discomfort in the body, making it an ideal home remedy and a potential alternative to get a sense of relief.
How Do They Work?
CBD are cannabinoids produced in the Cannabis plant. Similarly, the human body also produces a range of endocannabinoids as a part of the endocannabinoid system. This directly implies that the body possesses components that can read and interact with cannabinoids. The receptors in the endocannabinoid system control a wide range of functions, from regulating pain and inflammation to governing mood. CBD influences these cannabinoid receptors and other non-cannabinoid receptors, bringing out a positive result in a whole range of factors that it governs. The interaction of CBD is possible because both belong to the same class.
Why Do They Work In Both Humans And Animals?
Cannabinoids can work their effect in bodies that bear receptors for the same. The endocannabinoid system is a characteristic of mammals. That is, all animals that belong to the mammal’s class have similar effects to CBD. Thus, your dogs share the same range of benefits that you can enjoy through the administration of the drug.
What Are The Benefits?
The benefits range from all the possible areas that the endocannabinoid system directly or indirectly influences. It isn’t easy to validate the claims as the animals can’t express their actual feelings with words. However, extending the effects on humans to animals and observing their psychological behaviors, it is possible to deduce the benefits they enjoy. Some of the benefits that have experimental back-ups are:
- Stress and anxiety: Administering CBD can destress pets considerably. Many factors can trigger anxiety in pets, like loud noises. A little CBD may help you calm down the pets, making it easier for you to comfort them.
- Seizures: CBD has an anti-inflammatory property that helps to control seizures. Not as a complete cure, but CBD can help to alleviate the factors that lead to it.
- Chronic pain: CBD with analgesic properties can help to reduce the pain and the inflammation associated with the same. Especially critical to pets suffering from diseases, CBD doses can bring down the pain they experience.
- Skin conditions: In humans, CBD reduces acne by its anti-inflammatory property. Along similar lines, the pets might get slight relief from skin conditions like rashes, itchy skin, etc. However, it is important to note that the skin conditions may also hide underneath a much larger problem. Hence, consulting a doctor beforehand is advisable so that the drug administered may not have any possible side effects later.
- Neurodegenerative diseases: CBD has anti-inflammatory and other properties that help to tide over diseases in advanced age. Ailments like glaucoma and sleeplessness may find little rest with the appropriate medications.
Other benefits in the study right now: Treating cancerous cells. Claims have been circulating that CBD can limit the growth of cancer cells and eliminate the side effects of cancer treatment. Studies are going to validate the claims.
The Right Dosage!
Availability of the right benefits is proportional to the dosage you use. Though CBD is unlikely to have an overdose, sticking to the right limits makes sure your pets are safe and are enjoying the benefits of CBD.
The most appropriate way is to consult the veterinarian. A trained professional can suggest the appropriate dosage and duration, depending on the breed, symptoms, and company’s product. You can also look out for the dosages as mentioned by the manufacturing company. Give special attention to the concentration mentioned in the packaging. Different companies have different concentrations of CBD in their products. To remain on the safer side, start with lower doses and check the response. Don’t administer too much if you don’t see any improvement. Instead, consult a doctor to discuss it.
Is Your CBD Safe For Your Dogs?
Using CBD products meant for you might not be the best one for your pets. With added ingredients (and possible flavors), the pills may be unhealthy for your dogs. Hence, make sure you only use CBD animal products for your pets. Using a CBD oil that has traces of other beneficial cannabinoids (called full-spectrum CBD) is better.
Even though FDA is yet to approve drugs, CBD is quite prevalent in areas where it has been legalized. Administering in appropriate doses helps to get relief from pain and inflammation. However, for your pets, make sure you only trust animal-safe products to enjoy the benefits without any harm.